This is a quick reference guide for exams performed at CDI – St. Cloud and CDI – Sartell. Please call us at 320.251.0609 if you have any questions about the preparation for your specific exam or procedure. Note that “NPO” is a Latin abbreviation for "nothing by mouth,” meaning that you should not eat or drink anything other than clear liquids (water, broth, apple juice) for the time specified prior to your appointment if indicated below.
GENERAL RADIOLOGY PREPS
- Arthrogram | No blood thinners 48 hours before procedure, Ankle Arthro must bring a driver
- Barium Enema (Colon) | Air Contrast Fleet Kit – 24 hour prep.
- Dysphagia Study (Swallow Study and Speech) | NPO 8 hours
- Esophogram | NPO 8 hours
- Fistula Sinus Tract | NPO 3 hours
- Gastrografin - Colon | Fleet Kit – 24 hour prep.
- Gastrografin - Upper GI Series | NPO 8 hours
- Gastrografin - Small Bowel Series | NPO 8 hours
- IVP | Fleet Kit – 24 hour prep.
- KUB (Kidney, Ureter, Bladder) | None
- Loopogram* | NPO 4 hours; bring extra bag.
- Sialogram - Complete | NPO 8 hours
- Small Bowel Follow through | NPO 8 hours
- Swallow Study with Speech | NPO 8 hours
- T-Tube Cholangiogram | None
- Tomogram (Planigrams) | NPO 8 hours
- Upper GI Series with Air Contrast (if needed) | NPO 8 hours
- Upper GI With Air and Small Bowel (if needed) | NPO 8 hours
- Voiding Cystourethrogram (VCUG) | None
* Note Coumadin Patients: Patient needs to be off Coumadin 3 days prior to injection and needs a protime morning of appointment.
- Head, Chest, Abdominal/Liver Exams - 4 hours NPO
- All Other Exams | No Prep
- Gad Exams | 4 hours NPO
- Breast | 4 hours NPO
- MRCP | Arrive 1 hour early to drink prep (Gastromark) 8 hours NPO
- Sedation | 4 hours NPO; Patient needs a driver
- *Head | NPO 4 hours
- *Abdomen | NPO 4 hours. ReadiCat prep (See Below)
- Aspiration | NPO 4 hours and previous CT scan Off blood thinner 48 hours prior to procedure.
- Biopsy | NPO 4 hours and previous CT scan Off blood thinner 48 hours prior to procedure.
- Cervical Spine | None
- Chest (Thorax) | NPO 4 hours and current chest x-ray
- *CTA (Computed Tomography Angiography) | NPO 4 hours
- *IAC (Internal Auditory Canal) | NPO 4 hours
- *KUB (Kidney, Ureter, Bladder) | NPO 4 hours
- Lower Extremities | No Prep
- Lumbar Spine | No Prep
- Orbits, Facial Bone | No Prep for bones; NPO 4 Hours for orbits
- Pelvis | NPO 4 hours; ReadiCat Prep (See Below)
- Pelvis (Bone) | No Prep
- Sinuses | No Prep
- *Soft Tissue Neck | NPO 4 hours
- Upper Extremity | No Prep
ReadiCat Instructions: Patient should drink half the bottle evening before exam; other half of the bottle 2 hours prior to exam. Patient will need to drink an additional full glass of Gastroview in the clinic immediately before the exam. Patients with exams at 4 pm or after should drink half the bottle by 8 am the day of the exam and other half 2 hours prior to exam. If a patient does not get the ReadiCat prep, then they need to arrive 1 hour prior to scan time to drink Gastroview prep.
* Note Diabetic Patients: If patient is taking Glucophage or Glucovance, and will be receiving IV Contrast for CT or IVP study, they must be off their medication 48 hours after their exam. (Referring Clinic: CDI needs a recent creatine level for the patient prior to exam day.)
- Abdominal | NPO 12 hours
- Aorta | NPO 12 hours
- Breast - None - need prior mammos
- Carotid | No Prep
- Fetal | Before 30 weeks = 20 oz. fluids 1 hour before; After 30 weeks=16 oz. fluids 1 hour before.
- Gallbladder | NPO 12 hours
- Liver/Pancreas/Spleen | NPO 12 hours
- Pelvic | 32 oz. fluids 1 hour before
- Renal | Clear liquids only 8 hours before, 20 oz. fluids 30 min. before.
- Scrotal | No Prep
- Thyroid | No Prep
- Venous Doppler | No Prep
- Cranial | No Prep
- Extremity | No Prep
- Arterial Color Flow Only | No Prep
DIAGNOSTIC AND THERAPEUTIC INJECTIONS
Bring driver. No pain medications 8 hours prior. No blood thinners or aspirin 48 hours prior. Bring current MRI films. All exams (except Discograms)
Bring Driver. Off pain medications 8 hours prior. Off aspirin or blood thinners 48 hours prior.
Must have a driver. Must stay lying down 24 hours after exam. Off blood thinners/aspirin 48 hours. Off Anti-depressants/Tricyclics 48 hours. Drink lots of fluids the day before/day of/day after exam. NPO 1 hour.
| ||Exam Preparations